The entire cemetery is one acre in size with over 240 graves.
The original stone walls of Mt Zion Cemetery of Aldie were built within the 1853-55 time frame making them at least 163 years old.
In 1911, the cemetery was enlarged by expanding North toward US Route 50 creating a new North wall and extending the East and West wall. The cemetery is located next to Mt Zion Church which was built in 1851 along the original Old Carolina Road.
The church and cemetery have been recognized in the Virginia Landmarks Registry and the Federal National Register of Historic Places.
The cemetery, reflecting an earlier era with the division of the races before the Civil War, contains the walled white section and the un-walled black section. The original South wall marks this division. There are 63 black graves with field stone-marked graves or unmarked graves that have been identified by ground penetrating radar (GPR) and probing rods. Two graves have chiseled names on the granite headstones.
There are a number of veterans buried here starting with The War of 1812, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea and Cold War. The union men of the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry and the 13th New York Cavalry were led by Major William Forbes in their battle on July 6, 1864 with Confederate Colonel John Mosby and his guerrilla forces in the farm field East of the church. Twelve Union cavalry men were killed in action (KIA) and were buried near the juncture of the West and South wall.
The cemetery is owned and maintained by Mt Zion Cemetery of Aldie, Inc.